Re: [News] MAFIAA Could be Charged Under Antitrust Law; MAFIAA Wants Bailout?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> RealNetworks Ups The Ante; Wants To Add Antitrust Charges Against The MPAA
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | With the lawsuit between the movie studios and RealNetworks off to an
> | inauspicious start, it looks like RealNetworks decided to pull out the
> | nuclear option
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090514/0106084878.shtml

The MPAA and RIAA are totally and liable wholesome for anti-trust charges
and the public is entitled to compensation for the monopoly
and foot dragging over licensing and downloading issues.
It could be that they need to be broken up and all 10% of their
revenue confiscated for monopoly abuse of power.
In the UK they could be up against fair trade regulations
because of the way they hiked prices to customers like youtube.
They are monopoly criminals and anyone associating with them
and supporting them are also monopoly friendly criminals.

> [...]
> | most people don't care about this bill because they don't realize that
> | it's really a bill to bail out the RIAA by creating a radio station tax
> | that goes straight into the recording industry's bank accounts. So,
> | rather than call it the Performance Rights Act, it should more
> | accurately be called the Britney Bailout Bill.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090514/0218574881.shtml
>

> Recent:
>
> Taxing ISPs To Fund Newspapers?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In trying to explain why a music tax is a bad idea, I pointed out that
> | if you start with music, you quickly have to start adding pretty much
> | every industry disrupted by the internet. The obvious one is movies, but
> | what about newspapers? They're struggling due to the internet, so why
> | can't they demand an ISP tax to support newspapers? The idea, of course,
> | is that this was a ludicrous suggestion... but apparently some people
> | have thought seriously about it.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090105/0129403284.shtml
>

> RIAA Stops Suing Individuals: Are We Home Free?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead of its usual strategy of pinning scofflaws and wringing them
> | through the court system, the RIAA will shift the burden to ISPs. When
> | it appears as though an ISP customer is downloading illegally, the RIAA
> | will contact the ISP and it will now be the ISP's responsibility to slap
> | wrists via e-mail. If the actions do not cease, more e-mails will come;
> | until finally, the alleged criminal's Internet access is either watered
> | down or shut off, or they see themselves in court.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/155769/riaa_p2p_lawsuits.html?tk=rss_news
>

> Internet Filtering Appearing On Various Wishlists For Obama
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It's tough to get that worked up about the various "wishlists" being
> | sent by different interest groups to President-elect Obama. After all,
> | you'd expect the groups to basically push for their entire agenda, and
> | there's no indication that an Obama administration will agree to any of
> | these -- but it's still worth watching. For example, the MPAA's wishlist
> | includes plenty of forced filtering and a "three strikes" policy that
> | Europe recently rejected as taking away basic human rights (there's that
> | MPAA spirit!).
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/1826113082.shtml
>

> Internet Censors Must Be Accountable For The Things They Break
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Censorship technologies are purveyed as a way to protect us from the
> | evils of child abuse. But they're costly systems that are unlikely to
> | actually protect anyone or prevent any child abuse ? they're more likely
> | to interfere with the way the Internet works and hamper innovation by

internet-censors-must-be-accountable-things-they-b

> Labor plan to censor internet in shreds
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Government's plan to censor the internet is in tatters, with
> | Australia's largest ISP saying it will not take part in live trials of
> | the system and the second largest committing only to a scaled-back
> | trial.
> |
> | And the Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, has written to critics
> | saying that the so-called "live" trials would be "a closed network test
> | and will not involve actual customers". Greens Senator Scott Ludlam said
> | this was a sign the Government was slowly backing away from the heavily
> | criticised policy.
> `----
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/home/technology
labor-plan-to-censor-internet-in-shreds/2008/12/09/1228584820006.html