Re: [News] Linux gains lightweight media-oriented graphics stack

Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Preston belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> On 2009-05-04 05:33:21 -0600, High Plains Thumper
>> <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>>
>>> [quote]
>>> Apr. 28, 2008
>>>
>>> An open source multimedia graphics framework for embedded
>>> applications has emerged, along with a Linux-based media center
>>> middleware stack. The "Disko" framework and "MorphineTV" stack
>>> can be used to build graphical user interfaces for digital video
>>> broadcast receivers and IPTV set-top boxes, according to project
>>> leaders.
>>>
>>> (Click for larger view of Disko and MorphineTV running on TI
>>> DaVinci based development hardware)
>>>
>>> Both MorphineTV and Disko appear to have grown out of the
>>> DirectFB project, which maintains the widely used minimalist
>>> graphics layer of the same name. Commonplace in Linux devices
>>> such as mobile phones, DirectFB provides a much smaller
>>> alternative to the X Window system, while still supporting
>>> graphics acceleration, translucent windows, layered displays, and
>>> input device abstraction.
>>> [/quote]
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4461378279.html
>>
>> Awesome.  Yet another multimedia framework on Linux.
>
> Cool!  More space on the embedded store shelf!
>
> Maybe Linux can have as many different multimedia APIs as Windows!  (And I'm
> lumping all the DirectX stuff together!)

Ooh, Linux will be a while catching up with Windows' choice of
multi-media APIs.  It might never even make it.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |