[News] 10 Great Games for GNU/Linux and 12 Applications for News

10 Games That Will Turn your Linux into a WarMachine

,----[ Quote ]
| My favorite time pass. I’m always out for nifty gaming sessions when I’m
| bored, posted lots of stuff on it in the past and still going to. Loads of my
| friends use linux and “some” complain that there aren’t much games for the OS
| out there.. well they are wrong, I’ve posted about Linux games in the past
| and going to write / update more on it in this post. Stuff I’ve missed out in
| the past and games which were released earlier.
`----

http://www.anewmorning.com/2009/05/11/10-games-that-will-turn-your-linux-into-a-warmachine/

12 of the Best Free Linux News Aggregators

,----[ Quote ]
| A news aggregator is software which collect news, weblog posts, and other
| information from the web so that they can be read in a single location for
| easy viewing. With the range of news sources available on the internet, news
| aggregators play an essential role in helping users to quickly locate
| breaking news.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090507141503827/NewsAggregators.html

I mostly use Thunderbird (Probably more than Firefox even!). Thunderbird +
extensions = powerful beast.

Recent:

Sauerbraten 2009 Trooper Edition Released

,----[ Quote ]
| As we shared last week, a new release of Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) has been
| in the making for quite some time, but today an update for this popular first
| person shooter has been released.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI0NA

New Sauerbraten Release Is Imminent

,----[ Quote ]
| Within the next few days we should see the first 2009 release of Sauerbraten
| and it brings a host of new features. In this article is a rundown on some of
| the key features along with screenshots we captured when running their latest
| Subversion code.
|
| [...]
|
| Some of the major improvements in this first 2009 update for Sauerbraten
| include new rag-doll physics, a new particle system, new explosion effects,
| and quite a few other prominent changes.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=sauerbraten_2009_imminent&num=1

Related:

Frag 'em in your own backyard with Sauerbraten

,----[ Quote ]
| Sauerbraten is a fully loaded first-person shooter. It has single-player
| modes with interesting motion delay, several multiplayer gaming modes, and
| enough maps to keep you involved for as long as you wish to play. You can
| host your own Sauerbraten server on your LAN or join one of the dozens of
| online servers.
|
| But if you have to point to the one thing that separates Saurberaten from the
| rest, it has to be its in-game 3-D map editor. You can also take your
| map-building expertise online, and work with map editors from around the
| world in an online collaborative environment.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/145339

Gaming on Ubuntu (Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| There is also always the opportunity to run a virtual machine to run your
| windows programs (that will be the topic of my next post). So, next time
| someone says to you that they don’t want to switch to Linux because they
| won’t be able to play games, you might want to correct them.
`----

http://look2linux.com/2008/07/gaming-on-ubuntu-linux/

Open Source Shoot-Em-Up

,----[ Quote ]
| But lately, I’m also starting to see the appeal of doing without a hyped-up
| platform like Unreal Tournament 2004 or Battlefield 1942. Fracturing the mod
| community has sparked creativity, particularly when it comes to open-source
| games based on free engines. A lot of out-there projects are getting major
| traction with gamers—big attention that wouldn’t happen if everyone was still
| fixated on grinding out Onslaught maps or tweaking Desert Combat.
`----

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/open-source-shoot-em-up/a-200807091680682062
http://tinyurl.com/5achfn

Linux-based device gains accelerometer-based games

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby Industries announced a partnership with Albino Blacksheep to provide
| Flash-based games for the Linux-based Chumby "alarm-clock" computer,
| leveraging its motion-sensing capabilities. Meanwhile, Chumby's development
| site is growing, providing a forum, wikis, and other information for hacking
| the Chumby's open-source hardware and software.

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/