Re: Google Can Makes Linux Tablets Itself

____/ Homer on Saturday 03 Sep 2011 03:21 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> ____/ Homer on Saturday 03 Sep 2011 00:32 : \____
>>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

>>> Are you sure that isn't just Ballmer's misleading propaganda that
>>> really only concerns FAT (ref: your recent phone conversation with
>>> Keith Bergelt)?
>>>
>>> Personally, I'd like to see a mainstream news article that sets the
>>> record straight on this issue once and for all. Perhaps Keith could
>>> do an interview.
>>
>> I can certainly ask him. He encouraged me to phone him any time. So,
>> do we basically want a separation between FAT deals and Linux deals?
>
> Yes, in fact the so-called FAT patents aren't even about the filesystem
> itself, just long filename support (see: TomTom). Surely there's some
> way around something that trivial using an alternative implementation.

Tridge wrote a patch for that within weeks. I think it's a backward-compat.
thing now, even for TomTom (they depart from FAT, IIRC).

See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&q=mcpp+site:techrights.org&btnG=Search

>> they have a 4-letter acronym for it
>
> I can think of another four letter word for it.
>
>> and for Android he said it's really just ActiveSync
>
> Screw ActiveSync. Let Office users sync through Google's Cloud like
> everyone else. Surely it should be up to Microsoft to provide that at
> the application level, and sell it on Apple's app store / Android
> Market, not make boiler-room deals with smartphone manufacturers.

Exactly, that's what I thought.