Re: File Timestamps

  • Subject: Re: File Timestamps
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:54:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
__/ [Dennis Pogson] on Monday 29 August 2005 08:28 \__

> Rusty wrote:
>> "RobDee" <robd@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Background (skip if you want to get straight to the question)
>>>

>>> Question: What system do other users have for synchronising files
>>> between 2 or more computers which allows for the fact that either
>>> machine may have the preferred version?
>>
>> One solution is to put the modification date/hour into the filename.
>> A lot of versions of the file build up but that's better then nothing.
>>

>> rusty
>
> Why bother doing this when Windows Explorer does it for you? Don' tell me
> you use Explorer with it's ridiculous defailt settings?

Ridiculous it may seen to you, but it's intended to be user-friendly. My
parents barely understand the notion of files, not at a lower level anyway.

True it is that we always want to see the extensions of files and see a list
of file rather than floating objects. I do agree that filesystem timestamps
(created, last accessed, last modified) are OK, but they do not always
preserve themselves when files get shifted from one machine to another, or
from one O/S to another. Use with caution.

In conclusion, Rusty could argue that it was you who misled the OP.

All the best,

Roy S. Schestowitz        Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
http://Schestowitz.com