Screenshots and Virtual Desktops

(A decent bit of searching and some man pages suggest there is no such
option/support, but...)

Is it at all possible to capture screenshots (e.g. using import) of virtual
desktops that are not 'in focus'. In other words, could the user capture a
screenshot of virtual desktop 3 while viewing virtual desktop 1? Can a
combination of several virtual desktop be grabbed as a screenshot?

I hope someone point out a solution. I'll just assume it is not possible if
no-one replies.

Many thanks,