Re: Tungsten T charging problem

  • Subject: Re: Tungsten T charging problem
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:11:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Ian Cowley wrote:

> I just bought a refurbed Tungsten T from a reputable seller on eBay, but
> it's exhibiting some odd behaviour...
>
> When in the hotsync cradle (with AC power plugged in), I get a lightning
> bolt symbol and green charging LED.  But the charge o nthe device doesn't
> go up!
> I left it overnight last night in the cradle (computer off, AC power on),
> and the green LED was on.  I turn it on this morning and the PDA claims
> that
> the power is extremely low and it shuts down.  I then have to soft reset
> it to get it back on, then it shuts down.
>
> Now it won't even switch on again!
>
> I've measure the voltage across the charging terminals on the cradle and
> they are 5V.  The green LEd and lightning bolt symbol imply that the PDA
> is getting a voltage/power, but the battery doesn't charge.
>
> For what it's worth, I also get a green charging light when using a
> friend's USB cable (i.e. no cradle), but I haven't borrowed it for long
> enough to see
> if the unit charges.  And the unit is so dead now that I can't switch on
> to see a lightning bolt.
>
> I've performed soft resets galore, both in and out of the cradle, to no
> avail.  The unit has no power left to do a hard reset now.
>
> Has anyone got any bright ideas?

I also bought my Tungsten T from a reputable seller on eBay and it worked
fine all along. It only developed some problems with the power button and
the headphones jack over time.

Here's what I would do:

1. Firstly, contact the seller to briefly ask about the history of the
device, past owners (if any), battery testing (should have done that).

2. Try charging the device using a different cradle if you have one.

3. Try a different power socket.

4. Change the wires.

5. Assume the battery is faulty and try to find a replacement (which can be
an expensive process). You can DIY with the aid of Peter's Pilot Pages
<www.pspilot.de/>

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com