Re: rel="nofollow"

  • Subject: Re: rel="nofollow"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:20:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Stacey wrote:

> "Mikkel Møldrup-Lakjer" <mikkel@fabel.dk> wrote in message
>
>>I just recently learned about how outbound links can affect the total PR
>> of a site.
>
> Yeah, not that much though. It all depends how much you have going out.

I never knew linking was a 'crime'. Pages without links are poorer to the
reader because they are a narrow. Imagine yourself a paper without
citations.

>> I realised that most of my pages had several outbound links (several of
>> them had more outbound than inbound), and some of
>> them are even small webdirectories on different topics built by me.
>
> Do the benefits of the links help your site? Like are they related to the
> content?

I think that unrealted links should result in no PR gain to the receiver; no
penalty to the linking side...

>> Now I have inserted the rel="nofollow" on most outbund links, except for
>> the ones I for some reason consider "friends"
>>
>> 1. Would you consider this an unethical behaviour of me?
>
> Not really, if the links are not giving some back in return.

If your site is large enough, I think you might be throwing away valuable
time. You will be better off extending your content or adding sub-pages.

>> 2. Is the use of rel="nofollow" sometimes penalised by search engines?
>
> Nope.

Never should. Bear in mind that when using rel="nofollow", you prevent the
linked site from knowing about your existence and perhaps giving you
something in return.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com