Re: Microsoft use linux in-house

__/ [Erik Funkenbusch] on Friday 04 November 2005 17:57 \__

> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:41:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> The next time Bill Gates sends an e-mail through Microsoft's shiny new
>> Wireless LAN it will be passed through a behind-the-scenes Linux-based
>> network appliance.
>
> While that's interesting, I can't find a single reference to their products
> using Linux on their entire web site.  The only possible hint is that they
> have hired Linux software engineers in the past, though that could be for
> any number of reasons.

As Peter pointed out:

Mark Robards, Aruba Network's Asia-Pacific vice president, said the
company's mobility controller switches provide integrated security,
including a firewall, VPN, and hardware encryption, and they are "all
Linux-based".
/unquote

> So, if they're a linux based appliance, why don't they have a link to
> download their GPL derived software?

The short answer: not _everything_ that is associated with Linux is both free
and GPL'd. Some people in the community still need to make a living.