Re: 'Critical' Windows fix coming for PCs

__/ [Mark Kent] on Friday 04 November 2005 21:07 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Culley wrote:
>>
>>> begin  risky.vbs
>>> <tddzd8ed1hvz.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

If Windows was a maintainable piece of software, it could be extended /as-is/
to become a research O/S. Re-building, much like forking, implies that
something has gone wrong. We know it, Microsoft know it even better. They
see the code.

>>> That's the bad news for MS. The point still stands that Windows is an
>>> unmaintainable system which is insecure by design. MS should have
>>> taken a leaf out of Apple's book and replaced their OS with a BSD. Too
>>> late now of course thankfully. Linux and OSS is where the news is
>>> these days. Vista is now't more than XP with a new GUI. Me thinks it
>>> ain't going to sell too well in the corporate sector.

http://news.com.com/The+slow+road+to+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5746046.html?part=rss&tag=5746046&subj=news

Title: Half of all businesses still use Windows 2000

>> Aye, and plus the fact that M$ best talent have jumped ship.
>> If Vista ships at all, it will be XP in new clothing.  AV software not
>> included.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/06/xp-new-colours-longhorn/

Title: XP + New colours = Longhorn (Vista)

> I wonder if MS have the manpower or talent to do any more than attempt
> to maintain the present code-base now.  It would be a brave decision
> to abandon it, but might offer a better route.  MS's attempts to enter
> other markets have not been hugely successful so far, but there are
> always gullible people out there, especially very senior people who
> run technical companies, but without any technical knowledge.

Singularity is a start. It is an O/S built from scratch, yet it is disguised
under the heading "Research O/S". If it was ever to mature and become
successful, it would be ported to a broader market, not a niche.