Re: problem using palm with xp pro

  • Subject: Re: problem using palm with xp pro
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:48:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [Harold Fuchs] on Monday 07 November 2005 09:09 \__

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> __/ [Tom] on Friday 28 October 2005 18:51 \__

>>> None other than waiting for the administrator to install all necessary
>>> software. Windows XP does not support Palm devices at its core (from what
>>> have recently heard neither will Vista). You must have the add-ons, e.g.
>>> HotSync Manager, Palm Desktop and so forth.
>>>
>>> It appears much easier with Linux where Palm support is built-in (most
>>> modern
>>> distributions), so it's a plug-and-play situation.
>>>
>>> Hope it helps,
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>

> "E2User" <null@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> If you're the only user of the PC, you can probably ask your sysadmin to
>> add you as an admininstrator of that PC.

Either that, or the system administrator will have to install the software. I
suspect that Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager need to be installed in the
typical way which includes Registry entries. This means that you can't just
run the binaries (e.g. palm.exe).

> I *think* that what you need to do is as follows:
>
> 1. Log in as Administrator
> 2. Add you to the Administrator group
> 3. Log in as you
> 4. Install the software
> 5. Log in as Administrator
> 6. Remove you from the Administrator group
> 7. Restart the computer
>
> Windows's security model is completely broken. Page one of any security
> manual says you shouldn't use any computer as the sysadmin if that computer
> is connected to a network (because that gives any malware admin rights).
> Anyone trying to use XP as a non-admin is facing an uphill struggle as more
> and more software fails, in more or less serious ways, in this environment.

I second that, but it doesn't solve the OP's problem. I suppose sudo would
have been far more trivial and quick.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
  9:40am  up 4 days  5:38,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.16