Re: PalmOS and Proprietary Formats

__/ [Martin T] on Sunday 06 November 2005 20:15 \__

> Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:31:57 +0000 received comm
> from Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on channel
> comp.sys.palmtops:
>
> : Web-based. I like the thought of heading in this direction: the Open Web
> : for all communication. XML-RPC, OpenDocument/OASIS and the like are
> : becoming more popular.
>
> Sound interesting (with a standard sync format). Which major devices and
> manufactures supports it today (Motorola, Palm/Treo, HP, Nokia,
> SonyEricsson, RIM, Samsung, Siemens, etc)?

I really haven't a clue, I'm afraid.

I wish proprietary came to an end or was discourged much more harshly, just
as in the Massachusetts-Microsoft confrontation. I quite like it when I can
simply graft entire profile directories such as the ones used by Firefox and
Thunderbird (or Mozilla/Netscape, even KMail's mail folders). I can then
just lay it at the right location on a Mac, or a Linux, or a Windows
machine. All settings, cookies, bookmarks, extensions, data (mail) are in
tact! That's the power of openness.

Imagine being able to access the same data (e.g. calendar) in the exact same
way from any PDA/mobile phone/Internet service/desktop application. No
migrations, no formatting inconsistencies. Standards are enough to woo me as
I already have too much opaque data on my hard-drive, which I can no longer
interpret.