Re: PageRank and Google Patent, Privacy (Was: Jagger 3 (Another Update))

__/ [Borek] on Monday 07 November 2005 09:33 \__

> On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:48:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> I was refering to SERPS. PR update was few weeks ago, so you just
>>> didn't noticed PR change before. It is enough that you have lost
>>> one strong link for such PR drop.
>>
>> I keep track of 4 domains and none has had a PR update for months. I do
>> expect major changes, so the update must be pending, or else I was
>> neglected
>> in the update altogether. I check about a dozen pages regularly using a
>> script and I still wait for that update.
>
> I am refering to the October 19th - my page went from PR4 to PR5 and sits
> there. McDar lists it as a PR update.

Nothing here, which is odd. I didn't hear much about PR updates either, but
they definitely got listed in update tables.

>> 4. A method of personalizing placed content associated with a search
>> query,
>> comprising: receiving a search query from a user; accessing a user
>> profile
>> associated with the user; identifying a set of placed content that
>> matches
>> the search query; and ordering the set of placed content in accordance
>> with
>> the user profile.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Sounds like a privacy compromise to me. Also, it is a generic software
>> patent
>> that cripples the competition and can kill innovation. They capitalise on
>> the idea of profiling people.
>
> What Google did in this area to fill for a patent? I can't see any
> difference between their description and the mechanism Amazon uses
> for ages for proposing books - "people who bought this book buy
> also..." and so on. Not that I am advocating Amazon, just it seems
> that Google steals the idea known earlier.

For hundreds of years librarians have recognised the fact that people can be
advised to read particular books based on what they already liked. We shall
soon see the librarians join the authors in their fight against Google...

Librarian to library member: "So you liked Moby Dick and The Green Mile,
correct? I suspect you may also enjoy this book which we received last
week..."

Amazon/Google to librarian: "Excuse me, ma'am. I'm afraid we are going to
have to arrest you for infringing our exclusive rights to use recent
patent."