Re: Internet Search Engines FAQ

  • Subject: Re: Internet Search Engines FAQ
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 04:11:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Will Spencer] on Wednesday 09 November 2005 03:38 \__

> Thanks to Stacey for e-mailing me.  :)
>
> And thanks to everyone who thought of me in my absence.  :)
>
> I wandered off some time ago due to a very exciting project which I was
> given an opportunity to participate in.

You wandered off just shortly after I had joined. You used to post some
articles on occasions.

> The good news is that we were able to build satellite broadband systems
> to provide Internet access in Canada and Colombia.  The bad news is that
> I didn't have NNTP access during that time.
>
> When I returned to my home lab, I was slacking and didn't get back onto
> Usenet.  <blush>

Everyone could use a healthy break from UseNet.

> Thanks again to Stacey for pushing me in the right direction.  :)
>

> Now, onto the FAQ!  :)
>
> The FAQ is enormous at this point and is too large to easily post to
> Usenet.  In addition, of course, the FAQ looks like hell in ASCII.  The
> FAQ is heavily oriented towards the web, including some useful
> JavaScript and PHP tools.
>
> Of course, I should post a monthly reminder of where the FAQ can be
> found.  <blush>

I think a comprehensive list of links would even be better, possibly shuffled
or randomally chosen each time an automated message is posted, e.g.:

-   How do I find broken links?
     http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/find-broken-links.shtml

-   How can I prevent hotlinking?
     http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/hotlinking-deep-linking.shtml

> I am having some technical difficulties between my hosting company and
> their news provider, InterNAP.  InterNAP keeps telling them that there
> is no such newsgroup as alt.internet.search-engines.  I will send them
> another reminder this evening.

There are merely no Gname newsgroups or a UK Windows newsgroup in our
newsserver. Each provider has its 'holes'.

> I have been updating the FAQ with new and better information.  That
> process has never stopped.
>
> The FAQ, any FAQ, can *always* use updates and new Q&A's.  It is a
> never-ending task.
>
> I have about a thousand hours of time invested into the
> alt.internet.search-engines FAQ.
>
> I would love to work with anyone who would like to contribute to the
> project.  :)

How will contributions be made?

> The FAQ includes an HTML form to submit an article for publication.
> That URL is

http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/includes/article-submission.shtml

Ignore question above. *blush*

> Alternatively, for submitting a Q&A, the best process is probably just
> to send me an e-mail.  My e-mail is
> will.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> In addition, *another* FAQ project just started up.  You can view and
> participate in that project at http://www.seofaq.net/
>

> All of that said, please let me know how I can assist you in making this
> newsgroup a better place.

The newsgroup seems to have grown and it is a good place to be.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
  4:00am  up 5 days 23:58,  4 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.65, 0.60