Re: Thunderbird Dictionaries

__/ [Jafar As-Sadiq Calley] on Thursday 08 September 2005 19:02 \__

> Hi
>
> Have any of you managed to change the spell checker in Thunderbird from
> the default US? The blasted thing keeps trying to remove the u from the
> word "honour", or replace the s in "realise" with a z!
> I downloaded some dictionaries from
> http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html
> and installed them, according to instructions, but they still don't show
> up as an option. Only US "English".
> It's enough to make me want to migrate so I don't have to deal with it
> anymore. :D:D:D

Hi Jafar,

Such so-called corrections become far less of a nuisance when you use
extensions such as TB In-line Spell Checker. Misspelled words are
underlined in red rather than checked and prompted for one-by-one. I used
to have spellcheck invoked every time I hit "Send", but then changed to
in-line because of the very same issue you describe.

As for the directionaries, I suggest you get the dictionary file and
overwrite the old one. I can't find a menu options. It is worth sniffing
around the Thunderbird profile directory, in particular user.js and the
other JavaScript files.

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - If you manage to fix the language issues, please let me/us know.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Lions are like hippie tigers"
  4:05am  up 15 days  5:57,  3 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.22, 0.37