Re: Appointments and Data Recovery

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Yes, data recovery is a whole big topic that could occupy (already has in the SuSE NG recently) an entire large thread if not an entire Web site. I was once told that the best and most cited paper/s on the issue is/are somewhere in the Web site of Gutmann < http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/ > from New Zealand. I could check in more depth and point to the actual paper if necessary.

There is a lot of stuff that Peter has worked on over the years, I read one of his papers earlier this year. It is an old paper, but interesting all the same. He had been using electron microscopy to extract data from hard drives, for example, and also goes into some detail as to how data can be extracted from RAM even several hours after it was last powered down.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

As usual, there are two sides to this - data recovery and security.

We may be a small country, but for some reason we have some really switched on guys (like Gutman) doing great work here. It is easy to assume that software originates in large countries like the US, but ghost came from NZ, and for a while Firefox releases were named after NZ towns or suburbs, when the project was managed by a NZer.