Re: Urgent - KDE translucency problems - system unusable

__/ [ Madhusudan Singh ] on Friday 24 February 2006 06:07 \__

Hi,

The "Urgent" bit makes it sound as if a helpdesk is involved. smile

> Madhusudan Singh wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Did a bunch of updates on my Debian Etch system. Among others, KDE was
>> upgraded to 3.5. Now, when X starts up (tried both kdm and gdm), there is
>> a strange kind of translucency present - the mouse cursor is invisible,
>> and the text is visible, without the colors that distinguish a window from
>> the background. Nothing is readable. I am posting this from a Knoppix live
>> CD session.
>>
>> Logging into Gnome leads to one advantage - can at least see the terminal,
>> though any ncurses dependent stuff leads to the same problems.
>>
>> Any idea about what is wrong, and how do I fix it from a text only
>> runlevel ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> This appears to be an Xorg problem. I see some strange messages in
> Xorg.log :
>
> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):
> Fixing display offsets.
> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
> outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0): Fixing display
> offsets.
> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I810(0):
> Fixing display offsets.
> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
> outring (0x17) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x2f)
> isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x47) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x5f) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x77) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I81
> (0): Fixing display offsets.
> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
> outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't
> on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord
> boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundary(WW) I81
> (0): Fixing display offsets.
> ADVANCE_LP_RING: outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord boundaryADVANCE_LP_RING:
> outring (0x7) isn't on a QWord bouhndary(WW) I810(0): Fixing display
> offsets.
>
> How do I fix this ?

Has your XOrg configuration file been modified during KDE upgrade? If so, can
you retrieve the old version? I suppose command-line YaSY with SaX could be
handy here, but you are on Debian.

Other ideas: can you extract the XOrg configurations used by Knoppix in your
live session? Perhaps you can overwrite (careful making backups!) the
Debian's XOrg configuration.

Lastly, have you got any pre-upgrade backups? Any HOWTO on KDE upgrades
suggests this at the very start, so I hope you complied with the
recommendation.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Life is too short to proofread"
  7:30am  up 6 days 19:49,  8 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.51, 0.52