Re: Install and Run Windows Applications in Linux

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:07:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> IMO, it's just a setup for a letdown.  Why promote the use of tools
>> developed for one platform on another, especially when the other has
>> plenty of tools that more than likely will do the job just fine?  People
>> will then take way the expectation that their winsoftware will continue to
>> work just like it did on that other OS, when it more than likely won't.
>> Plus it just adds another layer of complexity.
>

> Well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Most users are very possessive
> about and fascinated by the software they have grown to love over the years.
> Everything they are not familiar with (yet) *must always* be terrible. If
> you were not happy with what you have, after all, how would you be able to
> live with yourself? (inner-conflict)

You are right.  And I've learned painfully that people are very resistant
to change.  To go from being an expert in one application on one platform
to being relegated to n00b status on another is quite a humbling and often
frustrating experience.

>> If you absolutely have to have that Windows application, then just run
>> Windows.  Otherwise, if it's just the *task* that's important - the end
>> result - and the tool is irrelevant, then one is much better off using the
>> native applications available for the Linux platform.
>>
>> Just my 0010 cents.
>

> *1000 (Intersting)
>
> Congrats. You've got yourself a Red Hat-based laptop.

Make that Debian-based and you've got a deal!

:-)

--
rapskat -  04:40:06 up 3 days,  3:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.71, 0.59
	"... Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in