Re: Handy program to make your htrml pages smaller and quicker to load

  • Subject: Re: Handy program to make your htrml pages smaller and quicker to load
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:06:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Paul B] on Friday 13 January 2006 07:59 \__

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:52:39 +0100, Borek
> <m.borkowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:30:30 +0100, Paul B <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> The site has nothing to do with me btw, but it is a program that I use
>>> and find very handy. My only gripe is that it does not run batches
>>> (Borek - you may be able to do something like this program but better
>>> ;) )
>>>
>>> http://www.bewebmaster.com/slr.php
>>>
>>> It is a free program, but is about 13mb (HU modem users)
>>
>>If all it does is it removes spaces and lines it should weight
>>13k max (with comments and documentation). And that's kind of tool
>>John will be better suited to do, as it sounds like Perl task ;)
>
> No worries. Yes it does take out lines and spaces. I saved a few megs
> with one site I have. (tables based, 4500+ html pages) so it was good
> for me.
>
> Doesn't save as much with 100% css site as it doesn't need to strip
> out as much, but still handy - just wish it could run batches as one
> folder I have has over 1300 files in it, and takes an age to do them
> one at a time :(
>
>>Best,
>>Borek
>
> plh
> Paul

See my other message. HTMLTidy does all of this, and more. *smile*

#!/bin/sh

for dir in ln .
do
  for file in ln ${dir}/*.html
  do
    htmltidy ${file} > `basename ${file}`
  done
  for file in ln ${dir}/*.htm
  do
    htmltidy ${file} > `basename ${file}`
  done
done

I haven't tested it as I never use htmltidy, but I believe this should work.

In Windows it should be htmltidy.exe, but MS-DOS is not a very scriptable
environment.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  7:55am  up 33 days 15:06,  15 users,  load average: 1.49, 1.03, 0.85