Re: Directory/File 'Stuck' in Webspace

__/ [Dan Espen] on Saturday 14 January 2006 20:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [Dances With Crows] on Saturday 14 January 2006 18:28 \__

>>> Yeah, badly-designed interfaces don't deal well with filenames that have
>>> "weird characters" in them.
>>

>> Yes, exactly. I initially thought about submitting a bug report to cPanel,
>> but they are money-making. Ought to resolve their own issues, I reckon...
>> *smile*

>>> The output you posted above makes me think that the directory was
>>> created with a strange character in it.  Use "ls -b" on this directory
>>> to see what that strange character really is.  Or use the shell's
>>> wildcards, as in "rmdir *Perturbation_Specification" .
>>

>> $ ls -b
>> \tPerturbation_Specification/      Perturbation/
>> Error_Propagation/                 Perturbation_Method/
>> Euclidean/                         Presentation_and_Talk/
>> ISBI_2006_Plan/                    Sensitivity_Errors/
>> ISBI_Structure/                    Shuffle_Distance/
>> January_2005_Tools/                Thesis_Structure/
>> NRR_Evaluation_Assessment_Errors/  index.htm
>> NRR_VXL/
>>
>> $ rmdir \tPerturbation_Specification
>> rmdir: `tPerturbation_Specification': No such file or directory
>> $ rmdir *Perturbation_Specification
>> rmdir: `\tPerturbation_Specification': Permission denied
>
> \t is a tab.
> The second one tried to delete it.
> You don't appear to have permission to the delete the directory.
> Use ls -l to show the owner and permissions.

$ ls -l
total 60K
drwxr-xr-x    2 schestow schestow     4.0K Jun  2  2005
Perturbation_Specification/
drwxr-xr-x    3 schestow schestow     4.0K Oct 20 04:36 Error_Propagation/
drwxr-xr-x    3 schestow schestow     4.0K Jun 21  2005 Euclidean/

It is owned by me, so I then began to wonder if it's one of these 'Safe Mode'
packages that prevent certain operations from being invoked by PHP.
Typically, directories cannot be created, among other operations.

I have just tried creating dummy directories and deleting them from PHPShell
without success. The path is 755 at all levels, so I suspect I might need to
777 everything, at least temporarily.

Many thanks,