Re: "Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly"

__/ [ Brad ] on Sunday 04 June 2006 03:11 \__

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 17:52:25 -0700, hawat.thufir wrote:
>
>> Brad wrote:
>> [...]
>>> HAHAHAHA,
>>> So China agrees with MSFT that no PC should be sold without on OS in
>>> order to help curb piracy. Then China states that ALL PC's mfg should be
>>> Linux compat. Isn't that kind of a slap in the face to MSFT from China?
>>> hehehehe

I think that, in the long term, this ought to bring many more jobs to China.
See the example below.

South Africa: Open Source 'Helps You And Helps SA'

,----[ Quote ]
| SOUTH African companies are being urged to adopt open source software so
| they can not only cut their running costs but also contribute to job
| creation and boost the national economy.
`----

                        http://allafrica.com/stories/200605180189.html

Only a couple of weeks ago, Ballmer announced that MSFT's (down again on
Friday) workforce in China will extend from 800 employees to 3,000. This
move is strategic, I'm sure (well, stating the obvious). It not only saves
MSFT money (offshoring has this effect), but it also gives them a grip on
the huge country (20% of the world's population) that is highly susceptible
to a Linux takeover. There is a double-edged sword here. On the one hand,
Gates wants to stop piracy in China, which will have higher revenues reaped.
On the other hand, this iron first regimen will drive more people to Linux.

>> The only downside is that if China is paying MSFT money, then I benefit
>> from the taxes collected.  If China's using Linux, I don't benefit.

Does that justify anything for the Chinese government?

>> Although it does mean more Linux development...However, I'd rather
>> China stay in the dark ages until they get some democracy.  No linux
>> for repressive regimes?  Is that in the GPL?  Maybe it should be, it's
>> a bigger issue than Apple and "FairPlay".

The GPL is not /that/ political. Well, not in the sense that it says very
little about human rights in the context of human lives... It alludes to
freedom of speech and information (c/f censorship), as well as freedom in
the domain of technology.

> I like the GPL just the way it it. As far as China "getting some
> democracy" I would like to see that as well. I have witnessed first hand
> the cloud of repression that communism levels over it's people. It is UGLY
> to say the least. China is making small steps in that direction. The first
> step is that they are becoming an economic/capitolist society. Communism
> and capitolism make for strange bedfellows. The curtain fell in Russia, it
> will eventually fall in China, Vietnam, Korea...etc.

Definitely. The Government is very self-defensive (thus repressive) at the
moment and the people will sooner or later gather and protest. When I come
to think about it, GNU/Linux can motivate them to comprehend and appreciate
freedom. Y'all know how Microsoft/Windows is said to be totalitarian.

> The point I was trying to make is that China is willing to jump into bed
> with MSFT at one turn, and then mandate support for Linux in the other. It
> just seems odd to me. Either way, Gates should be happy as it would
> eliminate PC's being sold without an OS on them....thus in theory,
> reducing piracy. Of course I am sure that this is wasn't what meant.

I am rather confused myself, but a law is a law. If the Chinese wish to
install Linux, there will be no obstacles. Let the people decide (or make
believe).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:50am  up 37 days 14:23,  12 users,  load average: 0.91, 1.05, 1.15