Re: Vista to be Released January 2007 (At the Earliest)

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 14:59 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 10:51 \__
>>
>> > On 2006-03-22, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> > something concerning:

>> As in 2009? For all I know, Microsoft are only buying time. They could
>> wind up releasing Vista at the end of 2007 (you know, for Christmas, just
>> as promised). Originally, Longhorn was due to be released in 2003, so 4
>> years of delay make 10 months seem like a breeze. How bloody long will
>> they test it? The alphas of Longhorn have been 'in the wild' for almost a
>> year!
>

> --> The alphas of Longhorn have been 'in the wild' for almost a year!
>
> Well over a year actually. When I was working for Groove Networks we
> had an alpha (or whatever they were calling it) installed and running
> on a system in late 2004.

I stand corrected. Make it ~three years in public/restricted testing phase.
Also remember the subsequence 2005 fallback, which brought Windows back to a
2003 codebase. If only it was modular in the first place...

> <snip />

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:10pm  up 15 days  7:47,  8 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.70, 0.80