Re: Why Linux is Easier to Use than Mac OS X or Windows

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:37:00 +0100
<e0da1o$121k$3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 21:59 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:12:56 +0100
>> <e0c1v2$2brj$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 19:59 \__

>> [snip for brevity]

>>> Linux could fit in line with the Mac. They are on par in many senses:
>>>
>>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg
>>>
>>> Unless you insist on hunting and then cooking your own lobster,
>>> you can just sit in a fine restaurant and be served. You benefit
>>> from skills and production-line-type work. The cost would be
>>> merely the same (c/f eSys and others).
>>
>> Works for me, to some extent; the main issue is now
>> inertia.  :-) I don't know if I've seen a good price for
>> Linux preinstalls yet, though -- but I've not really been
>> looking, either.
>

> You seem to be posting from America. Here's a useful links, perhaps:

> Think of it as 'proof of concept'. I know you can afford better...

Not too bad, actually. :-)  AMD Sempron 2400+, 1.67 GHz, 462 board,
128MB, 40GB, 52x CD-ROM, no monitor.  About on par with the stuff
Walmart was selling some time back for $199, so it's gone down
in price, but it's almost identical in configuration.

And they're still using Linspire. :-)  But oh well.

No mention of actual video capability but I suspect it's not going to
do much beyond paint windows, and it's starving for RAM (but that's
cheaply fixed).  However, there's no particular reason why one couldn't
disable X entirely and use it as a little server, though I'm not sure
how fast a Sempron compares to my current 1.4 MHz Athlon.

And there's no mention at all on how quiet it is.  (My current one
sounds like a leaf blower.  :-/ )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because everyone wants a really slick-looking 8-sided wheel.