Re: [article] Google questions Microsoft search

__/ [ Jim Carlock ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 22:58 \__

> "Borek" <m.borkowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Isn't EC European Commision?
>
> Good question. I did a little more research on it and EC seems to
> mean a lot of things...
>
> Eric Clapton

*giggles*

> European Commission
> European Constitution
> European Community
> .ec = top level domain name for Equador
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EC
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU
>
> I find more "related" information by using EU as a keyword in
> searches.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=EU+Microsoft&btn
> turns up 52 million links.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=EC+Microsoft
> reports 11 million links.

Good-yet-simple investigative work. When this series of lawsuits and hearings
began, I seemed to hear about the *Commission*, whereas in the past few
months I have been hearing about the *EU* in the press. I don't know why.
It's possibly just a coincidence.

http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legalissues/story/0,10801,91529p2,00.html

> I initially commented because only two links turned up under the
> following search:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=EC+microsoft+site%3Acbsnews.com
>
> and 421 turned up when searching:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=EU+microsoft+site%3Acbsnews.com
>
> Someone from France or Germany or Spain or one of the other 25
> countries involved in the EU?
>
> <shrug>
>
> I'm thinking EU is the proper way to represent the organization
> which sometimes gets called European Commission (and then
> some frothy mouthed lawyer comes along and calls it EC).
>
> Thanks Borek. No offense, Roy (if you're a frothy mouthed lawyer),
> it's something I stumbled upon by accident and who knows the real
> answers?

I appreciate your effort because, just like you, I was never sure if I should
put down "EU" or "EC". This leads to tendencies wherein people correct me
either way.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
  2:55am  up 7 days  9:52,  15 users,  load average: 1.30, 0.83, 0.77