Re: Google Page Depletion Continues

__/ [ Borek ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 17:31 \__

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 14:21:31 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Could anyone comment on patterns of crawling and volume of crawling, from
>> Google in particular? The number of indexed pages falls by the day and
>> there
>> is little flux at the moment. The loss propagates to all datacentres, not
>> just Big Daddy. It makes this seem irreversible (not trivially
>> reversible so anyway).
>
> AFAIK all datacenters are BigDaddy now.
>
> Two different sites (month, numbers of visits):
>
> 01 3450
> 02 1490
> 03 1908
> 04 1590
> 05 466

Wow. I guess I am among the luckier ones. I didn't lose much traffic, but I
find the number rather unnerving. They keep sliding and referrals likewise.
Oddly, I had a huge boost for a couple of weeks last month.

One of the minor losses (to me) is the inability to carry out site search, on
which I depend. I put a lot of my papers and meterial on-line. This
frequently, if not immediately, enables me to 'offshore' indexing to Google
(rather than Beagle, Spotlight or Google Desktop locally) and then navigate
through my work. At the moment, some pages are simply missing. I must
confess that Google's 'sort by relevance' was spectacular, so I could arrive
at my desired location instantly, without fumbling.

> so May will be below 1000. Note that this site doesn't have dropped pages
> problem and new pages added at the end of April (or was it beginning of
> May?) were spidered and indexed in about 10 days.
>
> 01 270
> 02 241
> 03 356
> 04 88
> 05 55
>
> May will be comparable to April, perhaps slightly better. Note that this
> site has only half pages indexed and despite sitemap listing all pages
> Googlebot have not spidered these non-indexed pages since March IIRC. They
> don't differ from any other page on the site.

I have never truly considered sitemaps because the sites are fairly
fragmented, CMS-wise. I am relieved to discover that even XML could not save
the day, so to speak. Many of us feel your pain...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:40pm  up 19 days  0:37,  8 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.89, 0.63