Re: Google Page Depletion Continues

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 11:52 \__

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:58:13 +0200, Borek
> <m.borkowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Noticed the same and above that, even noticed a few sites reappear that
>>> had been banned for at least 5 months and should not popup again since
>>> they still use the techniques they were banned for in the first place.
>>>
>>> So IMHO Google is kaputt, broken and not to be fixed that easily.

Could anyone comment on patterns of crawling and volume of crawling, from
Google in particular? The number of indexed pages falls by the day and there
is little flux at the moment. The loss propagates to all datacentres, not
just Big Daddy. It makes this seem irreversible (not trivially reversible so
anyway).

>>I am repeating is for at least few weeks now :(
>>
>>To quote Big Bill:
>>
>>> I think they out-clever themselves. It's too big, they can't controlit
>>> either. It's Frankensearch. Matt Cutts comes over like,"It's allcool,
>>> guys, just a little tweaking" and in reality them PHDs arerunning around
>>> on the mountain going "Oh my God! It's escaped!" andthe villagers are
>>> outside with flaming torches and pitchforks...

*LOL* Darn, I missed that one...

>>My (less literary) take is that either they have some nasty bug in the
>>system, or that their algos got to such complication degree that they have
>>some emergent behaviours (as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence)
>>they can not dampen. Second case is much more interesting, even if it is a
>>very long shot.
>>
>>Best,
>>Borek
>
> Actually, I mentioned that Frankensearch idea on an email group I'm in
> and they were well taken with it. Maybe I should expand it. Ahem...
> Google don't do press releases any more, they just say to a serf, "Run
> - warn the village!"
> You can tell when you're at the Googleplex, the door's opened by a
> 7-foot high butler called Search. Tee-hee.

*LOL*

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:15pm  up 18 days 20:12,  8 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.05