Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Company Dumps .NET Software, Finds Happiness in Open Source

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:25:17 -0500, AB wrote:

> On 2007-04-08, Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:41:44 -0500, AB wrote:
>>
>>> On 2007-04-08, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

>>> What comments did he make about it?
>>
>> The subject line, for one.
>
> He changed the original title. But he followed the implication. That
> isn't a lie, though it's certainly a careless mistake.

Yes.

> The title could be read either way. I'd certainly start to believe the
> same thing that was in his title based on the original title of the
> article. And supporting that mistaken premise, the article is littered
> with "open source" references, which category .NYET doesn't fall into.
>
>>> Three strikes, Erik. Your crying "wolf" is one of the most pathetic
>>> tools you've been weilding to debase and discredit yourself.
>>
>> Except that as  far as I can see, Erik is right. And while it was probably
>> not done out of a deliberate desire to mislead,
>
> Meaning it wasn't a *lie* because it wasn't deliberate?

You can 'lie' by commisiion, or ommission. Erik obviously believed Roy
lied.

>> that doesn't make it any less inaccurate and wrong. *That's* why I've
>> suggested Roy should be more descriminate in his postings, thereby
>> avoiding mistakes like this. Even if he isn't a liar, it can easily
>> make him look like one to the less well-disposed.
>
> So you agree that Roy didn't lie, and that Erik isn't correct in
> calling him a liar?

Roy says he didn't lie, and I would be prepared to accept that, on
balance. Except for the fact that it's happened somewhat often. So, maybe
Erik has some grounds for assuming this is deliberate. Clearly, he seems
to think it was.

>> Are you really so bent on attacking Erik that you ignore the facts?
>
> Why not go back to the beginning of the thread and follow it through.
> You may be enlightened.
>
> Perhaps not.

And perhaps you keep thinking Erik can never be right. I've followed the
thread, andhave been involved in the whole debate about veracity on this
group.

Is Roy a liar? I don't know for certain. How can anyone really, actually
be certain. But he *does* need to tighten up. So do all of us, I think.
You keep judging Erik by past history, not by what he says and does now.

Given that Roy has repeated things elsewhere in threads which he knows to
be untrue, and it's been pointed out to him they're untrue, what would you
say to him if his name were really Erik? Would you let it slide? No, you'd
crucify him. Then you shouldn't let Roy (or anyone) off for the same
offence.

Personally, I would very much like to think that Roy is only carried away
by his enthusiasm for the FOSS 'cause'. Which is why I'm trying to suggest
ways in which he can improve on his posting, rather than call him names.

--
Kier