Re: [News] Opera 9.2 Released, Includes Innovative Features (Screenshots Tour)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:59:22 +0100
<a6j2f4-ajn.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

>>> I wonder if they'll ever fix their "TE Request-Header" bug that
>>> essentially prohibits Opera users from browsing my site?
>
>> This appears to only be an issue if one uses certain plugins:
>>
>> http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/opera-patch-for-bad-behavior/
>>
>> I for one am having no problems browsing slated.org using Opera, but
>> I don't have this plugin.  (Or is this an issue with the site having
>> this plugin?)  I've not tried anything fancy, though, like posting
>
> BadBehavior is a *site* plugin (anti-spam) which I am indeed using.

Ah.

> I've read the above Blog before, and pretty much everything the various
> posters say makes sense, except for the fact that regardless of the
> presence (or lack thereof) of a proxy (whether or not it uses HTTP/1.1)
> the one and only common factor is Opera.

I've yet to see a freeware proxy using HTTP/1.1, though
it's been awhile since I've looked.

> My best guess is (and I seem to recall discussions to this effect on the
> Mozilla mailing lists) that proxies and pipelining don't mix well under
> certain conditions, and Opera seems to fulfil those conditions somehow.
>
> So in your case, you are using Opera, but have either disabled
> pipelining or are not using a proxy, or you are using a proxy that does
> not pass through TE Headers (and correctly uses HTTP/1.0).

I'm not sure about pipelining -- I've probably disabled it.
We have a transparent affair here, and I'm not sure if
it's a true proxy or just some sort of firewall.

I did get a slightly odd response at one point which suggested it
couldn't find the DNS record, but I couldn't reproduce it.

> I'm using Firefox, via Squid, via Privoxy, with pipelining enabled, and
> I have no problem accessing my site.
>
> Ultimately some people will criticize BadBehavior for being too
> pedantic, and I guess it would be really easy for me to just apply the
> patch and be done with it, but I'm disinclined to work around other
> peoples bugs, rather than to continue highlighting those bugs and
> therefore motivate them to do something about it. I'm also disinclined
> to compromise the security of my servers (however little) for the same
> reason.

Thank you, Microsoft, for once again ensuring that browsing the web
confuses the hell out of everybody. :-P :-)

(And making such measures necessary.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };