Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Rejected by Its Buyers, XP SP3 Planned, Cartoons Illustrate the Mess

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 06 August 2007 10:31 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 06 August 2007 03:34 : \____

>>> As much as I vehemently despise Windows, KDE is Free software, and as
>>> such it is not for me, you, or anyone else to dictate how it is used
>>> (within the terms of the GPL). If that means someone ports it to
>>> Windows, colours it bright pink, then uses it to destroy planet earth
>>> ... then so be it.
>>
>> The reason why many people move to Linux is escape from
>> lock-in/evil/viruses/whatever. If you give all killer Linux apps (even
>> Compiz-fusuion) to Windows, that won't be bad for Linux adoption. Au
>> contraire --- think about the main Linux adoption peril. It's the apps.
>> Windows will not have the advantage of smoothly running both Linux and
>> Windows apps (virtualisation aside) because people will no longer /require/
>> their
>> Windows applications. It's a cyclic  scenario that might take time to
>> explain. Hmmm.... the debate resembles that which revolves around binary/OS
>> drivers.
>
> Well, Peter K would have us all on binary drivers, locked to hardware
> combinations determined by grey-suited people in smart offices.

I'm not so sure about grey.

"It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but within
24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
(COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974. "

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

>>> Running Windows applications is a distinct *disadvantage*, Shirley.
>>
>> Yes, see my reply to waterskidoo.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
Tasks: 126 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie