Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Rejected by Its Buyers, XP SP3 Planned, Cartoons Illustrate the Mess

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 06 August 2007 10:34 : \____

>> ____/ waterskidoo on Sunday 05 August 2007 18:51 : \____

>>> Well said! Linux's claim to fame if you will is the infrastructure that
>>> it is built upon although I admit I am addicted to the eye candy.
>>
>> Really? I'm always afraid of installing /anything/ that might sip resources,
>> awn included. I'm still using a 1.8Ghz box and a lot of resources are
>> drained when indexing (in RAM) 120,000 USENET posts, running Firefox with
>> dozens of plugins, and using Thunderbird which can be made equally 'fat'. At
>> the moment, I maintain a fairly minimal KDE desktop. It used to be the
>> opposite, with lots of panels all over the place and maximal eye candy.
>>
>>> Putting a Linux face on Windows is like building a mansion upon
>>> the sand. It will look good until it starts to sink due to
>>> the collapse of the underlying infrastructure.
>>
>> The thought of running a KDE desktop with KDE apps and having Norton
>> anti-virus underneat is just bizarre (and resource-draining). Then you have
>> the system updates with forced reboots, WGA, and the rest of these
>> deficiencies. Registry bloat, defrag, and so forth...
>>
>> Weird...
>>

> And yet you were agreeing with Peter K regarding having binary-only
> portions to the Linux kernel...

Huh? When? I would say that it's better than nothing at all, but like many
people whom I talk to, I know that open source drivers are the way to go.
Predictable devices which operate in a way that their owner /understand/. We
should also be allowed to study the code that we run on our PC, especially
when computers are all connected, so there's room for spyware, not just
neglect and sabotage.

> have you really considered just how
> risky this is?  Once something is binary-only, you are completely at the
> mercy of the vendor, they can drop support at any time, force you to
> replace your card or your operating system or as nVidia do now, prevent
> you from using certain hardware combinations.

nVidia is not much of an issue. Not a critical one anyway, unless you work on
rendering where Linux is a prime choice. To must people nVidia=multi-head or
games.

> The concept of free software is that people can do what they want with
> it, they are guaranteed their four freedom areas.  This means that if
> they want to, they can port their code to Windows.  We also know that,
> just like the nVidia drivers which only work with certain Linux/hardware
> combinations, Microsoft also have the power to prevent any top-end on
> Windows working properly, and have exercised that power many times, and
> will continue to do so.

Yes, but that is not new. Microsoft (at least at the top) is just a bunch of
greedy criminals in suits. They are too *blind* to even see their crimes, as
Jason showed us some days ago when reacting to the Mass. fiasco.

> Freedom is not easy to come by, and it's very easy to give it up for
> some jam today - but don't be fooled.

True, but one has to be cautious. I don't need to lose my jobs because I refuse
to do some things that are 'against then rules'. Leave that to Stallman, who
truly needs to serve as a role model in that respect (he doesn't play computer
games either, according to what I read earlier today).

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
Tasks: 126 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie