Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Rejected by Its Buyers, XP SP3 Planned, Cartoons Illustrate the Mess

____/ waterskidoo on Sunday 05 August 2007 18:51 : \____

> On 2007-08-05, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Linux is more secure, stable, and less expensive. Once you put KDE on top of
>> Windows, then you need to learn a new environment anyway. The only advantage
>> then might be the ability to run Windows applications natively.
>
> Well said! Linux's claim to fame if you will is the infrastructure that
> it is built upon although I admit I am addicted to the eye candy.

Really? I'm always afraid of installing /anything/ that might sip resources,
awn included. I'm still using a 1.8Ghz box and a lot of resources are drained
when indexing (in RAM) 120,000 USENET posts, running Firefox with dozens of
plugins, and using Thunderbird which can be made equally 'fat'. At the moment,
I maintain a fairly minimal KDE desktop. It used to be the opposite, with lots
of panels all over the place and maximal eye candy.

> Putting a Linux face on Windows is like building a mansion upon
> the sand. It will look good until it starts to sink due to
> the collapse of the underlying infrastructure.

The thought of running a KDE desktop with KDE apps and having Norton anti-virus
underneat is just bizarre (and resource-draining). Then you have the system
updates with forced reboots, WGA, and the rest of these deficiencies. Registry
bloat, defrag, and so forth...

Weird...

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie