Re: Digg spurns Google for young Microsoft ..

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> waterskidoo wrote:
>
>> You guys are cherry picking posts to suit your POV.
>
> We don't have to cherry pick, he does crap all the time.
>
> How about the time he got caught pirating images for his blog?  And,
> when caught, refused to take it down, even after the artist himself
> asked him to do so.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/
> browse_thread/thread/e8c5347cf29e598a/cca760d8ed09213e

Hmmm, looks like a Funkenbusch situational ethics scenario to me.  See:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/07c0d83305c13caa

[quote]
> Further, COLA is IMMORAL.  I have one of your leaders, stealing art
> pictures, and posting on his own web site, without permission.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  You take a single example
of a personal blog with one image.  Then you associate that one instance
with the C.O.L.A. posting community, as though that one individual
represents C.O.L.A.

Rather than approach that one individual personally and express your
concerns, you feel that C.O.L.A. is the place to publicly bash a personal
blog.  Then you make a sweeping generality about the entire posting
community being immoral over personal disagreements on one art image on a
personal blog.
[/quote]

That was a reply to TAB, however, it sums up your accusations as well.
You seem to have a pension for taking a singular example of an incident
and puffing it up into a major crisis. This holds true of my use of two
alternate nyms to my real name. You still have not answered the question
to:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/f5791387d34096e5

or http://tinyurl.com/yvj4js

[quote]
Although this green feature has been available on PC's for a while, then
why has not Microsoft supported Wake-on-LAN with their SMS 2003?
Wake-on-LAN has been around for a while.
[/quote]

Green PC's is a function that has been around for a while.  There is
potential to save considerably in reducing KWH consumption and associated
green house gases that are emitted by fosil power plants, producing power
to supply those PC's.

>> It looks like he was overzealous in the initial numbers that he
>> claimed.
>
> Overzealous?  Are you kidding me?  There was no data to support his
> claim *AT ALL*.
>
>> In the scheme of things I feel Roy's massive number of good posts far
>> outshine the marginal ones. Nobody is perfect.
>
> If they were simply marginal, that would be one thing.  Being outright
> lies, distortions, etc is another.
>
> What you're displaying is a classic case of situational ethics.  Look it
> up.

OK, according to:

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=situational+ethics&gwp=13

The American Heritage Dictionaries

[quote]
situation ethics
n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

A system of ethics that evaluates acts in light of their situational
context rather than by the application of moral absolutes.
[/quote]

Further clarification from this next definition:

The Oxford University Press

[quote]
situation ethics

The view that ethical judgement applies to whole situations, rather as
aesthetic judgement is formed in response to total works of art. Any
attempt to abstract features in virtue of which situations merit a
judgement, and then to argue about new cases in the light of those
features, is potentially misleading; for a feature may contribute to the
value of one situation, but be irrelevant in another, just as a particular
splash of colour might be just what one picture needs, but be
inappropriate in another. The principal difficulty in front of this view
is that ethics is not just a matter of responding to existing situations,
but is essentially a practical subject, in which future options have to be
ranked in the light of different features. See also contextualism.
[/quote]

provides an indicting reflection of your actions; not just you but what
Hadron and Timmy have been been doing on this newsgroup.

--
HPT