Re: [News] [Linux] Inexpensive Linux Laptops Could Be the Future

Thad Phetteplace came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a
moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Here's the ironic thing.
>>
>> The kids who are getting the XO machines are getting the machine I have
>> wanted for years -- a lightweight, no frills portable machine, that is
>> optimized for text and writing, with wireless, and one that I could take
>> camping (hand crank) or on a bike trip, etc.
>>
>> So, with all the "access" to money and technology and online companies --
>> can't buy anything like the OX!
>>
>> Sucks being in the First World...
>
> I hear you.  My Sony Picturebook almost fits the bill, but it eats
> batteries and has no crank charger (though I might by a lightweight
> 12V solar panel for it).
>
> Thad

VIA Nehemiah 1.0GHz core with 256MB PC2100: 5W
CF storage: ~1.5W
LCD screen @640x480 16 greyscale: ~3W
Morphic PV panel, 30cmx30cm: 12W (~8W in overcast conditions)
SLA 7.2AH battery pack: the biz
number of times you would ever have to plug the fscker in: 0.
Chances of it running Microsoft XP worth a damn: 0
Chances of it running kernel 2.6.x and KDE: excellent
number of people I actually know of running such a system: 1.
Primary use: cycle jukebox/satnav

Total system cost: Â290 excluding satellite receiver (currently via
Bluetooth off of my cellphone).

For the power efficiency I don't even need a crank charger. The 12W panel is
actually probably overkill even for the amount of time the system's on.
--
Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: Â1700
Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax: Â600