Re: Microsoft Antitrust Settlement Is a Success!

____/ Rex Ballard on Sunday 02 September 2007 03:06 : \____

> On Sep 1, 11:31 am, "ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> snip
>
>> Here, have some of this Kool-Aid I've been drinking. Some nice people
>> from Redmond, Wash., sent it to me. It's so tasty! Go ahead, take a
>> swig. You'll love it.
>
> By the way, the reference to Kool-Aid, for those of you who weren't
> even born yet,
> was the Kool-Aid that Jim Jones gave to his followers during their
> Suicide Drills as
> "Proof of their faith".  Only problem was that the last round of Kool-
> Aid was laced
> with cyanide, and the mothers were feeding the Kool-Aid to their
> babies before drinking
> their own dose.  Those who didn't drink the Kool-Aid, were shot with
> semi-automatic weapons.
>
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2178222,00.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolaid

I read this article about a month ago. The stories behind it are interesting.

Also recently (with highlighted bits of text):

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night Joe and I got in this huge discussion, and I was cursing out
| Microsoft. It’s been rough the past couple of days and M$ has not been making
| my life very easy. Every time I turn around I have to ghetto-fy my web sites
| to make them work in IE…
|
| See… There are these things called Web Standards which were put into place to
| make web designer’s lives easier. As in, if they script to web standards,
| then all standards compliant browsers will show the site exactly correct.
| Well, I always script to web standards. The PROBLEM is that Microsoft decides
| that they are just going to do things THEIR way...
|
| [...]
|
| Besides the fact that all of the Microsoft employees I have ever encountered
| must have been brainwashed. I don’t know where they dig these people up.
|          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| And if they AREN’T brainwashing them, then they are just hiring incompetant,
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| pompous dumbasses. And if either is the case, why should anyone support their
| company?
`----

http://www.camp-site.org/blog/?p=21

Also, here is a message from the OP:

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this is absolutely devastating!  As near as I can tell, the poor
| guy at Microsoft has been trying to support open standards against
| management.  He doesn't say much about the history, i.e. the fact that
| Microsoft didn't do anything with IE until they were recently forced to
| by Firefox competition.   The feedback is amazing.  Example:
|
| Quote:
| -------------
| So if you believe that the reason for IE's lack of standards support is
| something other than malice of forethought to strangle other browsers,
| you are wrong. If you have followed the anti-trust trial you would have
| seen the actual evidence for these decisions. Microsoft is an
| anti-competitive company run by unethical shitheads.
|
| This won't change until the workforce is slashed and the entire company
| culture changes. Steve Ballmer is the king of the shitheads, so when he
| goes things might get better. But until then, expect MS to only do the
| absolute minimum to defuse the worst criticism. Remember my words:
| unethical shitheads.
| -------------
| End quote
|
| Erik cited this same guy's blog a few days ago to support the notion
| that Microsoft is dedicated to standards compliance and is doing the
| reasonable thing (I think that's why he cited it).  The way this story
| has developed, it shows exactly the opposite, and is very revealing
| about sentiments out there in the developer world.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cc1ad063dcc0400d

Last but by no means least, Microsoft admits its dirty little trick/crime (just
recently):

Is Microsoft learning from Web standards mistakes?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Is-Microsoft-learning-from-Web-standards-mistakes-/0,130061733,339280240,00.htm