Re: ping roy: small/tiny computers

____/ unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx on Monday 18 February 2008 18:56 : \____

> Hi Roy,
>
> You have posted links about small/tiny computers.  Is there a website
> that collects that type of information, as opposed to a company's own
> site?
>
> What I want ... a small computer that can hang on the back of a
> monitor.
> Think of a laptop with no keyboard or monitor.  Inside is:
>    1) memory.  1G option for 2G
>    2) video.  Good enough to show movies
>    3) chips and connectors for outside communication
>
> Outside is everything else.
>   1) USB
>     1.a) keyboard/mouse
>     1.b) noise ... err, excuse me, music/sound
>     1.c) disks
>   2) eSATA (disks)
>   3) ethernet
>
> Linux should have no problem with a box like this.  Microsoft would
> not be interested, as Vista would have validation issues.
>
> Thank you for any pointers.

I've just tried to find one of these devices galores in
http://www.linuxdevices.com/ which covers miniature PCs, but I can't find any.
There are several devices such as the Linutop which makes small yet powerful
PCs, but they are not as inexpensive as low-cost full-sized PCs. They are
quieter and they consume little power though. Then there's the question of
availability, which depends on where you live. I personally use an eSys box at
home. It cost me 165 pounds back in 2005 and has worked flawlessly since then
(running KDE 3). It consumes a lot of power though.

I can't really name products... :-S

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

                --Bill Gates, Microsoft