Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lobbing Arm Blames Workers for PC Insecurity

Jerry McBride wrote:

> Hell, I'll even go so far as to suggest that msft may be the
> originator of some, if not all, of the windows virus, malware and
> worms. Who better to know the attack vectors, than the programmer of
> the OS itself?

Don't know about the Vole specifically, but I've long suspected the AV
vendors of fuelling the same fires they purport to extinguish. Given the
covert nature of Windows development, it seems reasonable that Microsoft
are involved somehow, although much can be achieved with reverse
engineering, as many FOSS projects have already demonstrated.

The vast number of exploits do seem to indicate Microsoft's complicity.
Either that, or there's more hackers using computer's than regular
users, which seems unlikely. Of course the cynical answer is that
Windows must be trivial to hack, not that I have any personal
experience, beyond that of a Malware victim. The closest I ever got was
experimenting with TSRs back in the DOS days, and Amiga coolcapture and
coldcapture vectors before that. No I wasn't writing viruses :) I was
experimenting with bootable ram disks.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 01:08:37 up 69 days, 22:44,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.08