Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> In article <64mb95-gic.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Before answering, consider that ODF also allows arbitrary binary,
>> > and has explicit support for OLE objects--which are Windows-only
>> > bits of code.
>>
>> OLE objects don't work with OSX versions of MS-Office?
>
> I thought they used something similar but not quite the same on OS X,
> but could be wrong.

An "OLE file" is actually just a file or more correctly, a "OLE2
Compound file format" file, but it is essentially just a file format
that allows seperate streams to be persisted on disk. Conceptionally it
is comparable to a "Zip archive" where several streams (files) are saved
in a single file. The term "filesystem within a file" is often used to
describe it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_storage for more details.

On Windows, the technology "OLE" is used to read these compound files
but on Macs, Linux, mainframes etc they use alternative tools or
technologies to read the contents of these files.

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
http://idippedut.dk