Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> In article <1326774.0QbyTOpFNq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The file can contain a description of an executable (or a pointer to
>> a peripheral one). OOXML can contain arbitrary binaries, as well as
>> Windows-only bits of code. I'll provide examples if you requires
>> them.
>
> It would be more interesting if you would explain what you think is
> bad about that.
>
> Before answering, consider that ODF also allows arbitrary binary, and
> has explicit support for OLE objects--which are Windows-only bits of
> code.

That is actually not true. ODF does not have explixit support for OLE-
objects. Section 9.3.3 (if I remember correctly) has a <draw:object-ole>-
element for "binary objects", but the term "OLE" is used as a general
term to describe general "Object linking and embedding" and is not
specific to Windows.

It is exactly the same way it is done in OOXML.

:o)

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
http://idippedut.dk