Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> It's not the main barclays site that's the problem - it's their small
> business skil training site at http://www.barclays-skills.com/ that only
> works with IE.
>
> A quick test with Konqueror's browser ID spoofing reveals that it seems it
> will display the login page with any version of IE, even version 4.0
> running on win95 (It even appears to display when set to IE3.0 on Win3.11
> but I'm not sure I have the exact string correct for this version). Also
> seems happy with ID string for Mac versions of IE.
>
> Shows whoever runs this area of barclays site has no clue about
> compatibility or security - what kind of site is so poorly coded that it's
> designed to break with firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror but lets something
> as old and insecure as win3.11 use it.

And even more ironically the source for both IE and non-IE lockout pages has
the following comment near the top :-

<!--[if IE 5]><strong>Note: Clearlybusiness content is accessible to all
versions of every browser. However, this browser does not support many
basic Web standards, preventing the display of our site's design details.
We support the mission of the Web Standards Project in the <a
href="http://www.webstandards.org/upgrade/";>campaign</a> encouraging users
to upgrade their browsers.</p></strong><![endif]-->

They claim to support webstandards but lockout any browsers that actually
follow the standards - somebody please beat them to death with a clue
stick.