Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

William Poaster wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
>> They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them.
>> Lesson to be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers,
>> you lose heaps of very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or
>> prospective customers). I was with Barclays for about 3 months back in
>> 2000. I had to dump them for NatWest because they made a mistake, after
>> mistake, after mistake, after mistake and it was the last straw after
>> just a few months... it was embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy
>> actually told me (secretly) that NatWest had the better offer/service.
>>
> As I've said, I have no trouble logging in to my Barclay's account with
> Firefox or Epiphany. And I do not have any kind of spoofing extension
> running in either browser.

It's not the main barclays site that's the problem - it's their small
business skil training site at http://www.barclays-skills.com/ that only
works with IE.

A quick test with Konqueror's browser ID spoofing reveals that it seems it
will display the login page with any version of IE, even version 4.0
running on win95 (It even appears to display when set to IE3.0 on Win3.11
but I'm not sure I have the exact string correct for this version). Also
seems happy with ID string for Mac versions of IE.

Shows whoever runs this area of barclays site has no clue about
compatibility or security - what kind of site is so poorly coded that it's
designed to break with firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror but lets something
as old and insecure as win3.11 use it.