Re: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 04 January 2008 14:16 : \____

> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> You'd think that Banks, of all people, would steer clear of Windows and
>> use something secure, like Linux.
>
> Increasingly they do; I've done a bit of consulting work in the
> banking industry a few years ago and they were rolling out Java/Linux
> servers for middleware apps and edge of net servers.  Still running
> most of the database back end stuff on big iron with DB2 and so on,
> even some legacy COBOL layered behind a SOA abstraction layer, but
> plenty of Linux running newer infrastructure.  You won't find a
> whole lot of press releases about it though... banks tend to be
> rather quiet about the shape of their internal systems, for obvious
> reasons.

This turns out to be a Barclays Web site, but not the online banking one.
They really need to fix this fast because it's terrible PR for them. Lesson to
be learned here: if you hire Windows-centric web developers, you lose heaps of
very angry customers and receive bad press (loss or prospective customers). I
was with Barclays for about 3 months back in 2000. I had to dump them for
NatWest because they made a mistake, after mistake, after mistake, after
mistake and it was the last straw after just a few months... it was
embarrassing for them and the HSBC guy actually told me (secretly) that
NatWest had the better offer/service.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
         run-level 2  2007-12-10 11:12                   last=