Re: [News] Nicolas 'Microsoft' Sarkozy Adds Internet Tax in France

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:36 : \____

>> France set to experience a revolution in public broadcast television
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| French president Nicolas Sarkozy wants to ban advertising on public
>>| television and replace the income stream with a tax on mobile phones and
>>| Internet accounts. "Our national television must provide quality and access
>>| to culture; it must not be shaped solely by commercial considerations,"
>>| said Sarkozy in Paris on Tuesday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/101533/from/rss09
>>

> Actually, I think this might be a more uniquely French perspective on
> things.  He's completely wrong about this, of course, and likely to fall
> foul of the EU, too, if he attempts this.  Traditional commercial
> television broadcasting is pretty much over, of course, but there will
> always be a slot for public service broadcasting, so long as it's done
> the right way, not as has been done to the BBC recently, which is
> something of a total fiasco.

Have you read about his kiss-kiss with Microsoft execs and his mutual
favour-giving? The guys smells like corruption and he's very pro-IPR and some
say anti-FOSS. I don't like him.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Cpu(s): 25.0%us,  4.1%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.8%id,  3.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st