Re: [News] US Government Lags Behind in Free Software Adoption

On 2009-05-15, wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Where does Obama stand on open source?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Love him or hate him, Barack Obama will be President into 2013.
>> |
>> | This is a key moment for open source. In some ways it is going from
>> | strength to strength. But it remains vulnerable to counter-attack from
>> | the copyright industries.
>> |
>> | So far the President’s record on open source is mixed.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4214
>
> I hope Obama sticks with his plan for an open government.  As a result, OSS
> will be favored and implemented more often.
>
> I just don't like how Biden is so pro-RIAA.  The RIAA issues are related to
> OSS issues- they both involve intellectual property, piracy, etc.
> Hopefully, Biden's views on music will not impact OSS negatively.

Open government? The Australian government has secret talks with
Microsoft.

The E-tax online tax return system *only* works on PCs running Windows.
This is unlikely to change in the future. I've lobbied for years to get
the E-tax system to be OS agnostic but the Australian Tax Office informs
me that it is too hard, even though many other countries seem to manage
this OK. So... I continue to submit paper forms and ignore the Tax
Office when it exhorts taxpayers to use their E-tax system.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power