Re: [News] DRM and the Copyright Cartel Harm Disabled People

On Fri, 15 May 2009 12:35:15 +0200, Marti van Lin wrote:

> Tony(UK) wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 May 2009 00:48:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> Kindle 2 vs Reading Disabled Students
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> participation | by reading-disabled people, but also to deny them the
>>> benefits of scientific | advancement by blocking an existing
>>> technology from performing its intended | role—and doing all this
>>> while demanding remuneration for a capability they | themselves have
>>> done nothing to promote. If this is how the Author’s Guild | wishes to
>>> treat those with reading disabilities—as freeloaders attempting to |
>>> abuse the “added value” of TTS—then I fear for the future of equal
>>> access. `----
>>>
>>> http://www.keionline.org/blogs/2009/05/13/kindle-2-vs-reading-
disabled-
>> students/
>>
>> I find this disturbing, but typical of the 'I'm-alright-jack' attitude
>> of people who give no thought for others not so fortunate. This is
>> fine, until they find themselves in that position. Then, they wimper
>> like stuck pigs.
>> Survival of the fittest - we live in troubled times, and the problem is
>> world-wide. Of course, those who do not have a disability /at the
>> moment/ couldn't care less.
>
> That is correct Tony, IMHO there are no "disabled" people. Our sick,
> selfish and individualistic society makes people "disabled".
>
> Which is plain stupid, because sooner or later every human begin will
> get "disabled" to some extent.
>
> I have many "disabled" friends. I do volunteering work for a movement
> called Kompas (below is a Google Translation of the website).
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pq6dax
>
> The guy in front of the picture (in the wheelchair) is Peter Vreehen, he
> is the founder of the foundation and a friend of mine since I was at the
> age of 14.
>
> My volunteering "job" at Kompas is nothing but supporting participants
> in "using Internet".
>
> The problem with most non "disabled" people is that they are ignorant.
>
> My dear Mother (God bless her precious soul) was diagnosed Diabetes when
> she was at the age of 52. Unfortunately first a tooth, then a foot and
> finally a leg was amputated. Her second leg was amputated two years
> later and she became blind (her sight was limited to 20%).
>
> I was diagnosed Diabetes five years ago, but it's currently under
> control (by changing my lifestyle and taking care of what I eat).
> However I am very well aware of what (possibly) to expect in the future.
>  I am prepared.
>
> Unfortunately the ignorant crowd is not. They will probably freak out.
>
> With Kind regards,

Good luck, Marti with the diabetes, especially watch your eyesight and
feet. I have almost lost mine now having diabetes along with 5 other
conditions, two life threatening now. I too help others with computers
and learning. Linux helps a lot in this, as they tend to click on things
by accident, and are always getting viruses and the like.

All the very best to you,

Tony(UK)