Re: How can I stop my processes being monitored?

__/ [Charles Sweeney] on Monday 12 September 2005 10:39 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote
>
>> Not cheat, win [sarsasm]. The reason I would not play a boardgame on
>> the 'Net is because I never know if the opponent uses an engine to
>> make decisions. Everyone loses: the person who practically lost and
>> the person who never /truly/ won.
>
> I play chess online.  The system can tell if a person is using a
> computer to make their moves.  The person then automatically loses the
> match.

I don't believe that's possible. My gradfather used to have a pocket Chess
device, so spying, in theory, would not have been an issue. Moreover, there
are random seeds, so moves are unpredictable. I can say this with a fair
bit of confidence because I built an Othello program only several years
ago: http://othellomaster.com/

> I'm not sure how they do it.  Perhaps a computer plays the game in a
> certain pattern?  Or they maybe compare the moves to those that a well
> known program, Fritz, would make.

They probably warn the users only for intimidation -- a scare factor.
Plagiarism detectors likewise. I was once told that by the person in
charge. I wonder how well search engines handle mirrors, if at all...

> I note that you listen to "Popmaster".  I'm listening to it as I type.
> I listen to Radio 2 most days, and fairly often get emails read out.

I possibly heard it/them, but wasn't paying attention to the name.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
  2:35pm  up 18 days  9:41,  3 users,  load average: 2.27, 1.25, 0.84