Re: [News] [Op-Ed] Microsoft Wants to Own Everything, Even GNU/Linux

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:41:57 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Bill Gates is not a technical guy, though.  He's a rich kid whose Dad
>> was a successful corporate lawyer.  This has set the tone for the whole
>> of MS's existence.
>
> He also knew which garbage can (or skip) to grab code from...
>
> http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/09/hasta_la_vista_.html

Gah.. that could have been written by Rex....

It's amazing how much urban legend he presents as fact, not to mention that
his timelines are totally screwed.  For example, he claims this:

"Windows seemed unstoppable, especially when Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11
emerged. Win32s was a library that enabled 32 bit programs to run under
these GUI shells, but Microsoft was still far from a 32 bit Operating
System."

Win32s came *AFTER* Windows NT was released.  But this moron pretends that
Win32s came long before Microsoft even began work on NT.

I also love how he criticizes Microsoft for "Death Marches", particularly
in regards to Windows 1.0 "trying to keep up with the revolutionary
Macintosh", conveniently forgetting the history of the Macintosh... which
was one big death march for it's entire product development cycle (They
were intent on beating the Lisa to market, though they missed that
deadline).

Then he goes on with the urban legend of WNT a deliberately chosen name to
be one-off from VMS, also conveniently ignoring that Windows NT started
life as OS/2 NT, and that the NT portion was derived from the first chipset
it was written for, the Intel N-Ten (later called the i860).  He also
reiterates the urban legend of nobody needing more than 640K, which nobody
has been able to substantiate and Gates himself says he never said.

Yeah, there's about as much reality in this article as a typical Rex
post...